Monday, February 20, 2012

We want, but we won't give

So, Claudius kind of reminded me of a monkey.


Probably exactly what Claudius looked like in Shakespeare's originals.

So, you might be asking yourself "How on earth does that tie in to this?"  Well, here's how.  But instead of just telling you, I'll link you to a story about it.  It'll probably be more fun that way.  Here it is!

The Monkey and the Juggler

So, many of you have probably heard of something like this before.  Here is how it applies well to Claudius:

1.  He began by seeing the bait: he wanted everything that his brother had (kingdom, riches, power, wife, etc.).
2.  He then stuck his hand in and grabbed everything he wanted.
3.  He was unwilling to let go.

The scene that best emphasizes this parallel is Act III Scene III.  I'd suggest re-reading the end, where you have Claudius bemoaning his "wretched state" and "bosom black as death" juxtaposed with Hamlet's desire to avenge his father but unwilling to do so if it will send Claudius to heaven.

What I'd like for us to do now (on our own) is analyze how WE can be such monkeys too today.  After all, human nature keeps a pretty steady course.  Our actions often state along with Claudius: "May one be pardon'd and retain the offence?"  In other words, can we be forgiven, but still keep everything we gained through our malignancy?  We can all definitely find ways that we do the same thing, in a much smaller way (I hope).  Just something to think about...

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, very interesting post. I really liked it. You made me think. There are definitely things in my life like that--vices of which I won't let go, even though they are holding me back. For Claudius, his vice was holding him back from peace of conscience. The monkey was held back from freedom. My vices hold me back from all kinds of things. It makes me think about King Lamoni from the Book of Mormon, and how he said he'd give away all his sins to know God. That is truly impressive--even more so than being willing to give away half his kingdom or even his whole kingdom--to give away our vices is more difficult and more liberating than our abundance or our riches.

    ReplyDelete