Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hey, it's Valentine's Day!!!

So, here's a little something for the holidays.

Did anyone ever realize how perfect Savage Garden's "I Knew I Loved You" fits with the relationship between Miranda and Ferdinand in The Tempest???

Here, have a listen:


Here's my take on the lyrics:

"I Knew I Loved You"

Maybe it's intuition 
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
and there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
I know that it might sound more than
a little crazy but I believe 


This is just the introduction to their "love at first sight" love.  Hence, "maybe it's intuition, and no, I am definitely NOT going to question it." They both definitely did feel the other was destined to be their best friend. (After all, nothing says BFFs like playing chess behind the curtain--but seriously, I do love chess...) We also spoke in class about the "love at first sight" thing they had going on.  We could tie that into "I know that it might sound more than a little crazy..." to which, these days, we can rearrange to be "I know that it might sound more than a little crazy but this is BYU..." or something like that. See? Happens all the time.



[chorus:] 


I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life

Um, can it get any more "love at first sight" than this? I don't really think I need to explain why I think the chorus ties into their love story...



There's just no rhyme or reason
only this sense of completion
and in your eyes
I see the missing pieces
I'm searching for
I think I found my way home
I know that it might sound more than
a little crazy but I believe

This, I feel, is simply a continuation of what was just stated. They are basically thinking like this:

                                



[repeat chorus] 


A thousand angels dance around you
I am complete now that I found you 


[repeat chorus to fade]

They are on a mystical island for crying out loud!  In Act 3 Scene 3, Ferdinand's comrades were surrounded by "angels." So who's to say that it didn't happen for them too?



Now, a thought:

So, why did Ferdinand say Miranda was so beautiful? Surely as a prince that was at a marrying age, he'd seen all sorts of possible brides. I imagine that at least some of them were pretty good looking. They couldn't have all been inbred royalty, like this:


          ***Okay, I admit, that may be a bit of a stretch, but you have to go off the stereotypes sometimes, right???

I also wonder what makeup was like at the time, because if it was popular to look like this:

orange3_ua models

then I can completely understand his reaction. It'd be like he'd died and gone to heaven just to see ANY girl who looked normal. After all, for lot of guys like me it is much better to see a girl the way she more naturally looks. It just looks prettier and classier.  I guess I do have a bias in that though. I'm the sort of guy that doesn't like tons of jewelry, but I do think that something like a single thin, silver chain necklace or something of the like is very attractive. I also think things like lip gloss were a great development because lipstick seems too overbearing at times, and gloss seems to match a more natural hue.

2 comments: