Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A few videos on King Lear

So, it's probably just me, but reading King Lear dug up some distant memory in my mind.  That memory was this story (that goes to about 6:30):




It's so sad!  Having seen it again now, it does have some good parallels to King Lear (yes, here is my justification for putting it up here).

First, there is a king.  That's obvious.  But I felt that he goes through a few of the same things that Lear goes through and, for that matter, Gloucester does too.  He has a dear, dear friend.  For Lear and Gloucester, this could be Cordelia and Edgar.  Kent could fit here too.  Anyway, in a fit of misguided rage the king gets rid of his good friend, whose only aim was the benefit of the king.  In like manner, what did Cordelia, Edgar, and Kent all do, and why did they do it?  After a time, the king realizes his mistake and feels great sorrow.  So it was with Lear and Gloucester.

On another note, during the nights the king and his hawk had winds.  Like a storm.  Like King Lear was traipsing around in.  And during the days they were scorched.  Kind of like Lear experienced trying to live with Goneril and Regan.  


Now, here's another video!  Yay!





All I can say is, Lear should have been happy with Cordelia's fifty percent:


          "Haply, when I shall wed, That lord whose hand must take my plight shall carry Half my love with him, half my care and duty."

After all, if Juan Cougar's girl can settle for eight percent, why shouldn't Lear settle for a full half???

1 comment:

  1. I remember talking about your second video in class a little. Well, in Denmark rather :)
    I kind of ran with the idea and posted some videos too. Don't worry, I gave you credit and linked to this post!
    http://ortonemily232.blogspot.com/2012/02/only-part-of-my-heart.html

    ReplyDelete