Thursday, March 1, 2012

More on Final Project Ideas

So, I was thinking yesterday about how I could possibly put some more common Shakespeare themes into my idea of a play where Puck is the main character.  From this, I began thinking about how a lot of the plays that I have read have something to do with loyalty of friends or family.

Basically, what if Puck had begun as a lowly underling, but then started dating a high-up fairy?  This would mean that Puck would probably have had a very different personality at the beginning as a young-un, but that he was just beginning to blossom and this higher-up fairy had seen that.

But then, what if she dies, or leaves him for something else, etc., and he becomes sad.  However, then his family and friends kind of shun him--even though right before this they had all held him in high esteem (but, it turns out, it was only because he was gaining prestige)--and he then is left sad and alone (think of Job too here).

After this point, he could go through everything I had in my initial blog, Oberon takes a liking to him, and he rises in prestige yet again.  Now, his friends and family try to return to him, but he refuses and shuns them (maybe have some of a revenge theme here?).  Nobody speaks of the painful points of Puck's transformation after this either as they do not want him to relapse.

I think that this will be what I develop first then.  I'll put some writing down on my post Saturday, unless I somehow get it done by tomorrow.  I'd definitely appreciate it if you all looked it over and gave suggestions!  That, of course, includes this post.  Does anybody have any other ideas for this?  Anything you think should change or could be improved?

Now, here are a few other ideas for it, represented in a more user friendly format:

This makes me think of Shakespeare's fairies mixed with those wood things in Princess Mononoke.  So, one like this could gear us towards a more "cutesy" play.

This is similar to the first, but maybe a little plainer.  If we can't think of enough to flesh out the characters, or just want a "cutesy" play without the sometimes-crazy interpretations in anime-styled things like Princess Mononoke.  :)

To me, this "Alone" just spells out a tragedy...

Tragedy, with hope on the horizon?

Alone, but with mystery (Romance genre). So, something happens/comes to him to get him to go to Ariel? It becomes an important, magical mission?

We could make it really freaky...Asian horror films sure do capture that...

Now, here's something I found just searching "Alone" on YouTube. I thought it could also be interesting to give Puck an awfully dark history. Say his girlfriend cheats on him, and his feelings are similar to those of this song. Then, to turn it all around at the very end (maybe after he brings about her death--revenge plot), we could switch the girl from being a terrible person who trampled on his heart to someone who always did love him and under some circumstances had to/was forced to do that to him for his own good or from magic, etc. Now, Shakespeare generally ended his plays with all dying after this, but what if she asked him to live on and he did for her, or he chose not to die in order to face up to what he did to her as a sort of penance? And he is such a trickster now because it is his way of forgetting what happened but staying alive and trying to be what he could have been before this all happened (to be what he was becoming before it all). Or maybe Oberon could give him some "Forget-Me" juice. In any case, I think this would be a pretty tragic beginning!!!

4 comments:

  1. I really am liking the idea of exploring Puck's past. Though I am wondering if a really deep tragic story would not quite fit with how mischievous and sprite-ish he is. It's not like he is deeply revengeful and tries to ruin people's lives, he just likes joking around a lot.
    I actually have a lot of thoughts on this too. Please stay tuned; I am planning a post of my own that will make it a little more clear than if I tried to put it all here in a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your initial plot idea that you had in the first paragraph--the lousy hanging on friends/Job theme--that's very creative and would be fun; but I do have to agree with Emily that making his past too dark really doesn't fit that well with what I know of who Puck is. PS it's Saturday evening and you haven't posted yet...don't forget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some great ideas here, I like where you're going with this. I'm running with some of my own ideas off of this, you can take a look at my blog if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe you promised us some more posts! I hope everything is alright.
    Anyway, just to follow up with what I was saying I have a few post up about this idea of yours that I developed a little bit. Check it out.
    http://ortonemily232.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete