Saturday, January 28, 2012

A bit more with math...

So, before I move on to the plays we are going over, here's another one for all of you:

Going back to our discussion of The Tempest, it was brought up that "wench" during Shakespeare's time was simply a way of referring to a lass.  This, of course, sounds unnatural in our time.  Now, again to humor you, here's a way to tie it into math.  If we were to ignore the original meaning of this word, a mathematician might prove how a woman is a "wench" thusly:

But first, a side note: I did a proof in LaTeX for this that I like better, but it doesn't like the formatting and it won't link up nicely.  So instead, here is somebody else's:


Of course, this is based on the bad connotation the word has attached to it today.  Looking it up in the dictionary will lead many (I think) to find that they didn't fully understand it before.  At least, I didn't know what it was.  Probably because I grew up just knowing it was "bad."

Now, for all the ladies reading this, this is what you should REALLY read.  First, I'm sure many of you have seen this before, and probably hate it.  Now, I want to tie this into something that Kent wrote earlier this week on his blog here: http://kentlloyd232.blogspot.com/2012/01/mans-attitude.html

Second, let's look at reality:



Isn't this something along the lines of what happens or you wish would happen when you see things like this?  I simply wanted to put this in here to further the thoughts of Kent on how men--then and now--always seem to want to make themselves appear as "God's gift to women," but how they wind up just putting others down and making them a whole lot less desirable.  Of course, this is something that may occur more now with women than it did then.  What do you all say?


1 comment:

  1. Very funny. And I don't really know if this was more prevalent then or now. Especially because of the lack of social standing of women in the past, I'm sure that they were treated less then honorably. But because of the Women's Suffrage movement and what not, this sort of behavior gets called out now, and thus brings attention to it. I believe it is one rudeness that has not died down through history. I wish I could say that this will not be a problem, but I don't know that the future looks so promising, especially with the way the media is going. (No offense guys, I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, but you get the argument.)

    ReplyDelete